The Art and History of Calligraphy, Book Review
Do you have Patricia Lovett’s book Calligraphy and Illumination…? I often refer to it.
When I learned she published another book I went online cyber-Monday and bought myself a Christmas present. Her recent book The Art and History of Calligraphy, published last year by the British Library.
Since the author is a British professional calligrapher and illuminator you won’t be surprised the book emphasized historic manuscripts’ lettering.
- the Bosworth Psalter, the earliest surviving manuscript of the ‘New Hymnal’ from England
- the Lacock Cartulary with its wonderfully flourished letters
- a two-page spread picturing one page of the Luttrell Psalter.
- recent renaissance-style calligraphic art by William Morris
- Shiela Waters “Roundel of the Seasons”
- a present-day work by Stephen Raw of Carol Ann Duffy’s poem “Light By Sunlights Glance”
Lovett’s book clearly describes and photographs the artistic skill creating medieval manuscripts.
- ISBN-10: 0712356681
- ISBN-13: 978-0712356688
Here is a sneaky peak inside the book.
1 Comment »