10 Free On-line How To Make Paint Tutorial Links
I’m getting up to speed on making paint from pigments, again. Preparing to teach my paint making class in a few weeks.
I found several on-line tutorials you may like.
The first part of making paint is dispersing a powdered colorant in water.
The second part is mixing in a binder.
The binder in each video is different. Still, I learned tips from each video, even the videos using a binder different than I use.
- “Making Your Own Water-based Paint“–Natural Pigments excellent tutorial on the grinding tools and paint making. I love the articles this company provides you free on-line.
- Pigments Into Paint–A free pdf provided by the Guild of Limners. They sell all paint making supplies, too. Have a look at their whole website.
- Playing With Period Pigments: A Make And Take Class–My class handout on Google Doc (minus its pictures).
- Pigments and Paints Colorfest Exploratorium—Alex Warren, Sinopia Pigments founder, demonstrates grinding a pigment and then mixing it into egg yolk binder to make paint. He makes it look so very easy. And it is!
- Using soil and roadside rocks artist Helen Fitzgerald makes Ochre watercolor paint.
- How To Make Oil Paint–A tutorial about making pigment into oil paint.
- How To Make Your Own Oil Paint— A Howcast tutorial about studio oil paint production. A written step by step guide is also provided.
- Egg Tempera Making Lecture—How to make egg tempera paint with egg yolk and powdered pigments. She also shows techniques in using it
- Making Your Own Watercolor Paint–Watercolor artist David C. Powers show how he makes watercolor paint from powdered pigment. Powers works from a large amount of pigment giving you another viewpoint.
The Take Away
Watching the videos you see the easy way artist’s make paint. I like experimenting and fun to just play.