10 Free On-line How To Make Paint Tutorial Links
I’m getting up to speed on making paint from pigments, again. Preparing to teach my paint making class in a few weeks.
I found several on-line tutorials you may like.
The first part of making paint is dispersing a powdered colorant in water.
The second part is mixing in a binder.
The binder in each video is different. Still, I learned tips from each video, even the videos using a binder different than I use.
- “Making Your Own Water-based Paint“–Natural Pigments excellent tutorial on the grinding tools and paint making. I love the articles this company provides you free on-line.
- Pigments Into Paint–A free pdf provided by the Guild of Limners. They sell all paint making supplies, too. Have a look at their whole website.
- Playing With Period Pigments: A Make And Take Class–My class handout on Google Doc (minus its pictures).
- Pigments and Paints Colorfest Exploratorium—Alex Warren, Sinopia Pigments founder, demonstrates grinding a pigment and then mixing it into egg yolk binder to make paint. He makes it look so very easy. And it is!
- Making Ochre Paints—Using soil and roadside rocks artist Helen Fitzgerald makes Ochre watercolor paint.
Making Watercolor Paint Out of Natural Pigment, Tutorial—A step by step tutorial by artist Ekaterina Smirnova. She shows how to make watercolor paint from pigments found in nature.
- How To Make Oil Paint–A tutorial about making pigment into oil paint.
- How To Make Your Own Oil Paint— A Howcast tutorial about studio oil paint production. A written step by step guide is also provided.
- Egg Tempera Making Lecture—How to make egg tempera paint with egg yolk and powdered pigments. She also shows techniques in using it
- Making Your Own Watercolor Paint–Watercolor artist David C. Powers show how he makes watercolor paint from powdered pigment. Powers works from a large amount of pigment giving you another viewpoint.
The Take Away
Watching the videos you see the easy way artist’s make paint. I like experimenting and fun to just play.
Leave a Reply